Thursday, July 12, 2007

Tracks and Trees



Greetings and welcome to my online journal!

I hope to offer a number of captivating photographs and some stories about my adventures at the Barrington Headwaters (I’ve named it The BH for short).

This was an intense, fascinating, fun and educational week. I have experienced nature in ways that I had no idea were possible. I am already feeling connected to The BH and this is only the first week of the institute. The flowers, trees, stone fences, dragonflies, frogs and even the mosquitoes (yes I said it, mosquitoes) are beginning to feel comfortable and familiar. There are secrets to be discovered around every corner in this majestic place. Yesterday we learned how to identify different types of scat, trees and foraging patterns with Dan Gardoqui from White Pine Programs in Cape Neddick, Maine. He taught us to track the wildlife using all of our senses. What a fantastic day! There is so much history here and I am looking forward to continuing my exploration of The BH.

Here is one picture of a tree that our group found inspiring. We were almost to the end of the trail when we passed him in his reverie. It looks as if he sat down for a rest, and at this point in our hike we felt like joining him.

















That is all I have for today, but keep checking back for more stories and photographs!

Enjoy the sun.

1 comment:

Eleanor Abrams said...

Hi Kate,

I really enjoyed reading your first jouranl entry. I am looking forward to more.

The picture you posted is beautiful.